RTA Releases 2014 Regional Public Transportation Performance Measures
October 15, 2015
The RTA recently released our 2014 annual reports on the region’s public transportation system’s performance. The RTA is the only unit of local government charged with regional financial oversight, funding, and transit planning for the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA), Metra, and Pace Suburban Bus and ADA Paratransit. The reports are developed collaboratively with the CTA, Metra, and Pace through a performance measurement task force.
At the RTA, we take seriously our responsibility to monitor and share the performance measure results of the region’s public transportation system. We think it is important to look at performance on an annual and five-year trend basis, identify trends and their causes, and then share this information with the public.
Highlights of the reports, which evaluated the performance of our region’s transit system for 2014 and for the 2010 - 2014 time period, include:
• Despite a 2.4% dip in regional ridership in 2014, ridership over the five-year period increased by 0.8%.
• Trips per resident in the six-county Northeastern Illinois region in 2014 are roughly equal to the number in 2010.
• The average length of a trip increased 5% over the past 5 years.
• Operating cost per unit of transit capacity (measured as seating and standing room) has remained stable over the five-year period when adjusted for inflation.
• 2014 CTA rail ridership of 238 million was its highest ridership in 50 years.
• 2014 marked the seventh consecutive year in which total CTA ridership (bus and rail) exceeded 500 million passenger trips annually.
• In 2011, Metra implemented a stricter on-time performance definition and since then has maintained higher on-time performance, averaging 95.2%.
• Over the past 5 years, Pace bus ridership has increased by 8.2%.
• Capital investment needs, which have been consistently underfunded, continue to grow and are negatively impacted by the lack of state funding.
To view the most recently released reports, please visit www.RTAChicago.org.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
This month the RTA is celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The ADA transformed society and provided opportunities f...July 29, 2020
Do you or someone you know face transportation challenges? The Regional Transportation Authority (RTA) wants to hear from you about transportation issues and...May 7, 2020
The RTA is launching a four-part webinar series in place of the Annual Planning Workshop due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The free, virtual sessions wil...April 17, 2020
We are excited to announce that the call for projects for the RTA Access to Transit Program is now open. The RTA launched the Access to Transit program in 2...March 13, 2020
Each year the RTA celebrates Women’s History Month in March to recognize the women who work at, and ride, CTA, Metra, and Pace every day. The celebration coi...March 8, 2020
We’d like to hear your thoughts about public transit! The RTA is sponsoring a system-wide customer satisfaction survey and would like your feedback about yo...March 2, 2020